- Do I need a second phone line for DSL?
- Can I use my own DSL modem?
- What are the minimum requirements for DSL?
- How do I install my DSL service?
- I have only received two line filters. Can I purchase more?
- Is there a cap on DSL?
- Can I use a router, hub or switch?
- I have decided to use a hub. What is the cost of an additional login account?
- Can I purchase additonal email accounts?
- Is my IP address static or DHCP?
- Can I get a static IP Address?
- What is your DNS information?
- Does DSL include any dial-up access?
- I have forgotten/would like to change my username and/or password?
- I have more questions!
Q1: Do I need a second phone line for DSL Internet?
A: No. A second phone line is not required. DSL works on your pre-existing phone line and operates on a different frequency. This allows you to surf and talk on the phone at the same time and you will never have to worry about busy signals again.
Q2: Can I use my own DSL modem?
A: Yes. There will be a $5.00 reduction in the monthly fee if you decide to use your own DSL modem.
Note: $5.00 reductions not available on any "Lite" service. Certain conditions apply. Only available on some High Speed DSL plans. Contact Vianet for details.
Q3: What are the minimum requirements for DSL Internet?
A: Any Pentium class or equivalent 200 Mhz CPU, 64 Megs of ram, CD-ROM drive, Network card and Windows 95 or MAC OS.
Q4: How do I install my DSL service?
A: To install your DSL service:
- Install DSL filters on all telephony devices in your home. (This includes phones, fax machines, satellite receivers, security systems and dial-up modems.)
- Connect the power supply to the DSL modem and plug it in.
- Connect the phone cord to the DSL modem and then into the phone jack. (There should be no splitters, surge suppressors, or DSL filters on this line.)
- Connect the network cable to the DSL modem and then into the Ethernet
port on your computer.
- Turn the power on and wait for approximately one minute.
- The DSL/ADSL/SYNC light should now be solid.
- Insert the Vianet DSL CD-ROM and install the connection software. (Windows Vista, XP and MAC OS 10.1+ users should skip this step. Windows Vista, XP and MAC OS 10.1+ include built-in support for your DSL connection.)
- When prompted for your username, please enter "firstname.lastname@example.org" not "yourusername".
- Please contact Vianet Technical Support at 1-800-788-0363 should you require further assistance setting up your connection.
Q5: I have only received two line filters. Where can I get more?
A: Additional line filters can be purchased from any Vianet Office or your local computer store.
Q6: Is there a cap on the DSL service?
A: There is
5 GB soft bandwidth cap
on the DSL Lite package. There is no cap on the 5 Mbps DSL packages but we reserve the right to terminate a connection if we deem the usage excessive or inappropriate.
Q7: Can I use a router, hub or switch?
A: Yes. Routers, hubs and switches are permitted.
Q8: I have decided to use a hub. What is the cost of an additional login account?
A: An additional login account can be purchased for an extra $5.00 per month.
Q9: Can I purchase additonal email accounts?
A: Yes. Additional email accounts can be purchased for $2.00 per month.
Q10: Is my IP address static or DHCP?
A: Your IP address is DHCP assigned.
Q11: Can I get a static IP Address?
A: You must upgrade to a Commercial DSL package
in order to get a static IP address.
Q12: What is your DNS information?
A: Please click here.
Note: This information is only required when setting up a router.
Q13: Does DSL Internet include any dial-up access?
A: Dial-up access will be provided free of charge if your DSL connection fails. Dial-up access will remain active until the DSL connection is repaired.
A2: DSL customers can also purchase a dial-up account for $5.00 per month for 10 hours of access. Overtime will be billed at $1.00 per hour.
Q14: I have forgotten/would like to change my username and/or password?
A: Please contact Vianet Technical Support at 1-800-788-0363 to retrieve/change your username and/or password.
Q15: I have more questions!
A: Please fill out our Online Support Form or contact Vianet Technical Support at 1-800-788-0363.