- How does Vianet SpeedDial work?
- How fast is Vianet SpeedDial?
- What other features does Vianet SpeedDial offer?
- How will I benefit from using Vianet SpeedDial?
- Can I use Vianet SpeedDial with other browsers such as Netscape, Opera or Mozilla?
- How do I use Internet Explorer with Vianet SpeedDial?
- Does Vianet SpeedDial speed up email?
- Does Vianet SpeedDial speed up secure (HTTPS) transactions such online banking?
- What operating systems and/or platforms are supported?
- What are the system requirements?
- Does SpeedDial work with Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2.0?
Q1: How does Vianet SpeedDial work?
A: Vianet SpeedDial accelerates your Internet access by caching content, compressing text and images.
Note: Vianet SpeedDial does NOT speed up file downloads (over FTP or file sharing programs), streaming audio/video and HTTPS (secure web sites).
Q2: How fast is Vianet SpeedDial?
A: Up to 6 time faster. The exact amount of acceleration can vary but you will notice a significantly faster online experience when you visit web sites and send/receive email.
Q3: What other features does Vianet SpeedDial include?
A: Vianet SpeedDial offers the following value-added service in addition to speeding up your web and email usage:
- Pop-Up Blocker - block annoying pop-up advertisements while surfing
- Banner-Ad Blocking - Stop the ads, and surf faster
- Integrated Diagnostic Support Tool
Q4: How will I benefit from using Vianet SpeedDial?
A: If you have a slow Internet connection, such as a regular dial-up, you will experience a significant degree of acceleration using SpeedDial.
Q5: Can I use Vianet SpeedDial with other browsers such as Opera , Netscape or Mozilla?
A: Yes. Vianet SpeedDial works with any web browser that allows you to specify an HTTP proxy. You must set the HTTP proxy host to "localhost" and the port number to be "5400" (without quotes). Consult your browser's documentation for additional information.
Q6: How do I use Internet Explorer with Vianet SpeedDial?
A: Start Internet Explorer and browse as you normally would. Vianet SpeedDial is launched automatically every time Windows starts. It operates in the background to accelerate your web connection. No user intervention is required.
Q7: Does Vianet SpeedDial speed up email?
A: Yes. Vianet SpeedDial can reduce the amount of time it takes to send and receive email. Vianet SpeedDial accelerates email transparently without any user intervention, so you can use your mail program exactly as you normally would. It is compatible with popular POP3/SMTP programs including, but not limited to, Outlook Express, Eudora, Mozilla and Netscape Mail.
Note: Email acceleration is disabled by default.
Q8: Does Vianet SpeedDial speed up secure (HTTPS) transactions such as online banking?
A: Vianet SpeedDial does not accelerate secure transactions. Secure web sites will continue to work by bypassing the acceleration component.
Q9: What operating systems and/or platforms are supported?
A: Windows Operating Systems:
- Windows 95b
- Windows 98
- Windows 98SE
- Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME)
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows 7
- Pentium 200MHz (or equivalent)
- 64MB RAM
- at least 5 MB of hard-drive space.
Macintosh Operating System:
- Internet Explorer 4.0 (or later)
- Netscape Communicator 6.0 (or later)
- OS X 10.2 or later
- PowerPC G3 processor
- 128MB RAM
- 6 MB of hard drive space.
Q10: What are the system requirements?
A: The recommended system requirements are a Pentium PC 200MHz with 64MB of RAM and at least 5 MB of hard-disk space.
On a Macintosh computer a PowerPC G3 processor with OS X 10.2 (or later) with 333Mhz and 128MB RAM and 6 MB of hard drive space is the minimum requirement.
Q11: Does SpeedDial work with Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2.0?
A: We are unaware of any compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 2.0 and the current version of SpeedDial.